A Place for Speech
Speech Therapy for South Texas
Call The Office
4202 Hermosa Dr, Corpus Christi, TX 78411
Welcome to Our Practice
A Place For Speech offers treatment for children and adults with hearing, speech, language, cognitive or feeding progression difficulties or delays. Aural therapy for developing listening skills in order to develop speech and language for the deaf or hearing impaired is a passion of Tracey’s. Additionally, Oral Placement Therapy is offered by Tracey, a level 4 OPT Talktools specialist, along with traditional speech & language therapy.
We work with improving executive functioning for academic success. Activities target increasing attention to task, memory, problem solving, and reading. Individuals can be more independent in daily tasks and functional communication abilities.
Oral Placement Therapy
Talktools specialist providing 6 month program plans or individual sessions by assessing abdominal, velum, jaw, lips and tongue strength, symmetry and dissociation skills to increase speech clarity and feeding progression.
Auditory Verbal Therapy
Therapy working with your audiologist to increase spoken language through listening. Auditory Verbal Therapy is specialized type of therapy designed to teach a child to use the hearing provided by a hearing aid or a cochlear implant for understanding speech and learning to talk.
A Place for Speech is a specialty clinic that provides aural therapy, oral placement therapy, feeding therapy, as well as traditional speech and language therapy for adults and children. We have high expectation for your child, especially if he or she has a behavioral component that can impede learning in the traditional model of speech therapy. We value the work of an ABA therapist, and we implement teaching methods that have been scientifically proven to be effective. Gaining compliance and instructional control is fundamental, and we know exactly how to get results. We believe that, when kids are learning, they don’t know they’re working.
Aside from the traditional “look and repeat” model, we offer newer approaches. So, we’re an “outside of the box” clinic that utilizes evidence-based practices that aren’t available anywhere else in the Coastal Bend.
We offer our clients any of the following therapies and assessments
- Aural rehabilitation for the deaf and hearing impaired.
- Cochlear implant rehabilitation.
- DPNS and vital stim.
- Myofunctional therapy.
- Verbal behavior teaching principles.
- Beckman Passive Oral Motor Exercises.
- SRJ TalkTools Oral Placement Therapy.
- Phonological Cycles Hodson.
- Tactile cueing.
- Sign Language.
- Treatment for executive function disorders.
- Treatment for auditory processing disorders.
- The Kaufman Speech to Language Protocol.
- Structured apraxia approaches.
- Bloom and Lahey Language Samples
- The Meaningful Auditory Integration Scale (MAIS)
- The Meaningful Use of Speech Scale (MUSS)
- The Auditory Skills Checklist
- The Shepherd Centre Functional Listening Index
- Functional Auditory Performance Indicators (FAPI)
- Developmental Test of Auditory Perception
- LinguiSystems Articulation Test
- Receptive – Expressive One-Word Picture Vocabulary Test
- Montgomery Assessment of Vocabulary Acquisitions
- Verbal Behavior Milestones Assessment and Placement Program
- Oral Placement Assessment
- Preschool Language Scale
- Hodson Assessment of Phonological Patterns (HAPP)
- Clinical Evaluation of Language Fundamentals (CELF)
- Executive Functions Test Elementary
- Mini-Mental State Examination (MMSE)
- The Crash Inventory for Cognition and Language
- VA SLUMS Examination
TalkTools® was created to provide the best Oral-Placement Therapy (OPT) techniques, training, and tools to clients, therapists and parents. Our therapy techniques add a tactile component to feeding and speech therapy, enabling clients to “feel” the movements necessary for the development of speech clarity.
Tracey Siebold is a level 4 therapist, one of five OPT therapists in Texas.
The Kaufman Speech to Language Protocol
The Kaufman speech to language protocol is the protocol used to increase speech production for children presenting with motor planning difficulties or apraxia. The K-SLP focuses on the speech-motor skills, shaping the consonants, vowel and syllables.
In the cycles approach therapist treat patterns rather than single sounds such as a child who deletes the end of words, such is, final consonant deletion.
Cueing a client with hands on proprioceptive feedback to train the muscles correct placement in speech.
Beckman Oral Motor exercise
An intervention that uses assisted movements and stretches to activate muscle contractions for increased strength for feeding and speech.
Children with Autism
Verbal Behavior Milestones Assessment and Placement Program
Verbal behavior teaching principles: Use of evidenced based scientific approaches to increase learning behavior and compliance
Physical hand movements to form a basic language of communication used to augment language as speech develops
Language disorders are often co-occuring with difficulty organizing thoughts and executing plans as well as achieving academic success. We seek to identify the underlying cause of an individual’s language concern by choosing the appropriate comprehensive assessment.
As a former teacher of the deaf and hearing impaired, we use methods that increase receptive and expressive language in a structured setting with mixed and variable objectives, to simulate natural conversation. We use techniques such language experience actives (LEA), Plan, Do and Review (PDR) and Prompt, Evaluate, Extend, Reprompt (PEER).
DPNS & Vital Stim: Deep Pharyngeal Neural Stimulation - use of thermal stimulation to increase pharyngeal strength and tongue base retraction for a safe swallow; Vital Stimulation - Noninvasive electrical stim for people with swallowing difficulties.
Myofunctional Therapy consists of exercises that target oral muscles to correct reverse/anterior swallow or tongue thrust.
Hearing Loss & Auditory Processing
Aural/oral therapy for children who are deaf or hard of hearing: Teaching speech and language through developing listening skills using amplification including hearing aids and cochlear implants.
Cochlear Implant Rehab
Intervention for patients who are learning to hear again through use of cochlear implant.
Treatment of Auditory Processing Disorder
Treatments may include environmental modifications such as the use of listening devices and working with a therapist.
The Lingual System Articulation Test
- Bloom and lahey language samples: a collection of language samples to determine vocabulary and language capacity. A specific data form to collect a sample of a child’s current expressive, receptive, and pragmatic language
The meaningful auditory integration scale (MAIS) A test used to determine what the parent sees at home. A survey for parents.
- The meaningful use of speech scale: the MUSS focuses on the development of auditory stages
- The auditory skills checklist: a tool to evaluate functional auditory skills in very young children with sensorineural hearing loss
- The Shepard centre functional listening index
- Functional auditory performance indicators
Tongue ties (Posterior Frenulums)
Tongue ties, aka posterior frenulums need professions evaluations and treatment. We work as team with the local professionals to assess and treat tethered oral tissues.
Please call office to discuss the one that is correct for your situation
- Clinical Evaluation of Language Fundamentals (CELF)
- Developmental Test of Auditory Perception (DTAP)
- Executive Functions Test
- Pre-school Language Scale
- Receptive One-Word Picture Vocabulary Test
- Expressive One-word Picture
- Vocabulary Test
I want to thank a place for speech for giving me the opportunity to obtain my 25 clinical hours for my assistant speech language pathologist license. Within that short period of time I was part of a wonderful clinical speech team. I got to meet great clients that will forever be in my heart. Most of all I gained therapy skills that will help me throughout my career. If anyone is looking to do any clinical hours, or know someone who needs speech therapy I would recommend a place for speech the place to go.
Great knowledgeable therapist, great environment.
A place for speech is a great place to go. Tracey is an amazing person and speech therapist. she really cares for the children. all the employees do.
my child has improved in speech since we came here. Tracey also recommended i go to Sunshine Cottage in SA to get hearing test done on my child to make sure that the hearing isnt an issue. even though we had to travel. it was a great choice. they are amazing there. they were gentle and warmed up to my child before starting. they made sure he was comfortable.
Call: 361 728 9192
Corpus Christi, Texas 78411
We would love to meet you